Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Carnage

So it was called Tour de Dung in Sequim, WA (the sunny capital of Washington's west side). Wow, it will last in infamy. There is something odd that happens as every cyclist will attest, its called cyclist amnesia. It starts by me saying (at time of crash and during my inability to breath) - boy that was dumb, why am I doing this crazy sport...THEN when we are driving home from the hospital, reliving the race...to "wow, I should be able to get on my trainer in 7 days and race again in 6-8 weeks. " Yeah...it's sick. And like a true biker I will describe the damage to my bike FIRST...then the damage to me SECOND:

Here are some images of my helmet (kids pay attention here).
I clearly smacked this down hard and don't remember any hang time during my crash; Just the smack into the woman fallen before me, then SMACK hard on the pavement (catapult).
This was the Giro Atomos Helmet in Rabobank (or Byrne) colors and it performed as it should have, BRILLIANT. I'm buying another one (as this one is toast).

My bike...well. The Cervelo P3 survived. The FSA bars are toast and the Dura Ace Hoods look like some teenager took a 22 rifle and shot a round into them. My wheels will need to go back to Topolino for truing and, yes, well...some new ceramic bearings (can't help myself).

Me?
Well...
Lots of road rash...including this section on my upper thigh and entire leg. Bruises that are everywhere and are just beginning to develop...some rather unique and deep colors.
My leg actually had some deep ones mostly at the knee.
My left hand mostly unscathed with a few chunks taken by the road
My left thumb was not too fortunate. The road or my bike grab a slice of skin off (I'm saving my audience here). I also have some infection starting here...so doc put me on antibiotics. Yeah.

This is the top of my left pelvis (hip) as I clearly landed on my 1) head, 2) shoulder and 3) hip, then rolling for all the extra juicy road rash. Looking at my clothing...I clearly benefited from the three layers of tops (undershirt, jersey and breezewall vest). The vest is destroyed, jersey slightly and undershirt barely.


My shoulder and its collar bone are where my pain resides. My scapula and upper ribs are bruised (can you say its fun to breath). Here you see my neck and the bruise exposed at the surface (had to keep this rated G). Well...I'm off to heal.

4 comments:

THOR said...

Ouch.......
Now take care of yourself and call us if you need anything. Sun and salt water are good for road burns so keep that in mind.
Thank god for the serious helmet performance.
Sorry to hear about your accident,,
Take it easy,
Mike

Jill Talcott said...

Hey Lisa,

It was terrible to see you go down and sustain these injuries. I appreciate you sharing your photos and description of you injuries. As much as your injuries suck and I am sure are plenty painful, I am so thankful they weren't worse. The fact that your great sense of humor and good turn of phrase are on your blog for us all to read, shows you are a tough chick and on the road to recovery (as much as it probably doesn't feel that way to you right now). You are a great competitor and valued member of our Cat 4 Women's field. We will miss you and look forward to your return. You can expect a big and warm Starbucks welcome, when we next see you.

Cheers,

Jill Talcott
Captain, Starbucks Women's Cycling

Sara said...

Hi Lisa!

So relieved to hear that you're doing okay! Like Jill said, we're look forward to your return to the Cat 4 field. Take care girly!

Wishing you a speedy recovery from Team Group Health,

Sara, Eden and Katy
Team Group Health Cat 4 Coordinators

UltraMick said...

Hope the road rash at least is healing fast, and I really hope you can relax when you lie down so that you get some good restorative sleep. Heal fast, keep up the good spirits, and stay focused on the sick goal of racing again in 6-8 weeks! Keep us posted on your progress--your bruises should soon have some glorious colors. -Martha