Sunday, October 23, 2005

Blink

Malcolm Gladwell's new book, "Blink" is a fascinating read. It describes the power of thinking without thinking. By way of example he describes two different tests to get at a deeper understanding of a prospective job candidate. One test is the traditional interview = 1.0 hour. The second test was a review of the individuals living quarters = 5 minutes. The second test revealed greater accuracies about the individual than what could be understood in an interview. That's why I'm fascinated by people at the grocery store. Have you ever been at the supermarket and just watched what people had in their baskets...attempting to understand each customer in line ahead of you? I do think people are what they eat...and therefore eat what they are. In a "Blink" I offer a glimpse at my fridge down below...

Top Shelves = Clif nectar bars, Hammer Gel, enzymes, liquid oxygen, biking water bottles (ready to go);
Middle Shelves = egg whites, ginger, miso, green curry paste, oj (for marinade), olive oil (in the fridge?), salsa, mustard (Dijon);
Lower Shelf = Almond butter, Acidophilus (powder), Green + powder (for smoothies), sundried tomatoes, tapenade;
Bottom Shelf = Soy Milk(s), Coffee, Pom, Fuji water, Lemon Juice, Salsa.

Certainly the contents, placement and order says something. I invite you to comment.

2 comments:

thedurovcircle said...

Aside from the obvious {health conscious and a "foodie" as you described yourself earlier}, I would say your fridge door reveals:
-A type-A personality (biking water bottles ready to go??)
-Someone who is perhaps a little food-elitist (no Kraft peanut butter or Zoodles in that fridge)
-Someone who subscribes to at least one or two women's health/fitness magazines. (liquid oxygen?)
-Along with the last point, a person who is very aware of health trends (POM juice..)
-I would be interested to check the expiration dates on those jars. I would assume from the contents and the 'feel' I get from your fridge, all products are well before the expiration dates, and if they were within a week of expiring, would be promptly discarded.
-Also, the fact that you (a) posted a photo of your fridge door after (b) reading a new book on your (c) online blog...reinforces the idea that you like to keep current.

More to follow...

Lisa Picard said...

Amazing assesment my dear David.
Type A...yeah...maybe A+.
Women's health mags...not currently.
POM - I was drinking before cool.
Exp Date - dead on! In fact I often scan frequently to make sure I'm not holding anything past its prime.