Monday, August 04, 2008

twas the night before RAW

Saturday was the day before RAW, the annual ride around washington state; a week long adventure of riding 75 to 100 miles a day from Sunday through Friday evening. This year's tour is the tour of the volcanoes (rainer, helens, adams, glimpses of hood then back). It is epic. I got my worked lined out, bike tuned, food prepped, clothes packed, headed to get a mani-pedi (some chick stuff before the ride). I just needed to get the last bag in the car before I drive to Packwood, WA to camp out.

Then I received a VERY STRONG message; "Lisa you are not to go on this ride" OR the message was saying... "you are to go on this ride and surrender, ask for help"... that is to be in a place that you are forced to ask for help. That message was loud and clear as it came in the form of this...


A seemingly random innocuous fall carrying the last bag to my car. Yup, so random and so real that it made the message very potent. The tumble off my back stair had me land squarely on my wrist, bending it back in a direction that it is certainly not intended to go (stressing tendons and tearing a ligament). I picked myself up quickly, ran to the kitchen grabbing a bag of frozen mangoes... saying... no, no, no, yet there was a message over-riding it saying YES.

Now THINKING the message was go and surrender, I drove the 2.5 hour drive to packwood in pain and a baseball for a wrist. Waking the next morning (yes I asked two very loving friends to pitch my tent) trying to mount the bike like all the other tour de france dudes with wrist injuries... I realized, well... if I had Soigneurs I too could do it (well maybe). Nope. I'm meant to stay home this week. And I'm excited by it - as there is lots of learning (internal). There are lots of things I'm thinking and feeling and thus will finally have the time to dwell on it and potentially blog it if my wrist is up to it. look out readers!

No comments: