Thursday, August 07, 2008

My Ayuvedic Reminder

The central concept of Ayurvedic medicine is the theory that health exists (and thrives) when there is a BALANCE between three fundamental bodily humours (a latin word linked to temperatures of the body) termed doshas, namely Vata, Pitta and Kapha. We are often labeled one of these doshas based on where we have the greatest tendency to be out of balance:

Vatas = AIR element, lighter in body frame, easily effected by environmental change;
out of balance Vatas are SUPER busy making (never sitting still) - like most bike racers I know;

Pittas = FIRE element have medium builds, sharp focus/concentration;
out of balance Pittas can be easily agitated.

Kaphas = earth element, steady, loyal, larger body frame
out of balance Kaphas suffer from inertia or inactivity.

There is no question I'm largely Vata given my desire to move, do, be - never sitting still; although I test a Vata-Pitta, suggesting that I have keen focus in my busymaking (creating great success), yet when imbalanced, I'm exhausting, sleepless and manage to avoid all feeling (getting on the treadmill of life as I say).

Why does all this matter? Well, I find myself suffering with this NEW hand injury as it represents a painful sentence and penalty; a timeout of sorts in STILLNESS. STILLNESS is like medicine to Vatas; bitter, avoidance in taking it, yet good for us and best for our health. Today I was forced to do restorative (non-active) yoga poses that held me in positions for 10-15 minutes. I fought it. I complained. I cried, all along saying I'm going for a run after this is over (think of a kid that chases its cod liver oil with kool-aid and pop tarts).

So my lesson? STILLNESS is where we experience real learning, real listening, real growth. STILLNESS allows us to feel and we need to commit to being in the pose of STILLNESS for it will provide balance to the rest of our busy, busy lives. We think STILLNESS is nothingness, wasteful, fruitless - but it is probably the richest activity our busy minds and bodies can embrace if we are going to bring about genuine health and real balance to our dosha, our life, our health and our community.

I am STILL. I am feeling. I am listening. What are you doing? I pray nothing.

Namaste.

No comments: