Sunday, August 17, 2008

Intimidating?

So I rode a 3 hour leisurely pace with a work associate. It was a good "get to know ya." Well... she quickly concluded that I would sure be intimidating to date (I think because she sees a lot of me in her). Hmmm. Honestly, I asked..."why?" Michelle quickly said, you live life big, your brilliant and you have done so much. Hmmm. So I ask... would the following be intimidating to date (and this is not an attempt to be grandiloquent, but rather more of a my own stream of conscious to better observe what people first hear/see from me) - in no particular order really...

  1. Cycled much of Italy including (Sicily, Tuscany, the Lakes Region, Mediterranean Coast, Dolomites) - 5 separate trips;
  2. Cycled most of the major French Alps and Pyrenees and summit most of the major mountain passes (including Alp d' Huez, Tourlemet, Galibier, Col de Mente, Col de Aspin, Crox de Feur) AND Cycled to top of Mont Ventoux and barreled down back side at speeds in excess of 50 mph. (not to mention eating and drinking my way through France - yum).
  3. Ski Toured sections of the Haute Route in Switzerland including a 5,000 foot vertical ski down on the face of a glacier facing Mount Blanc, then rappelled off the toe of the glacier for closure;
  4. Completed a 50K XC skiing race within my first 18 months of learning xc skiing - then competitively raced for 2 more years shooting for world masters before I fractured a rib;
  5. Scuba drift dove Cozumel and completed 90 foot DEEP dive off coast of Miami without too much narcosis.
  6. Competitively raced mountain bikes for 3 years with only 1 broken rib and 1 dislocated shoulder
  7. Fixed the wax ring on my toilet - well because I had to;
  8. Hold my own in the kitchen never following a recipe inventing flavors and experimenting daily;
  9. Built up four (4) high end road bikes;
  10. Skunked the dudes at fish camp bringing home three (3) 30+ lb King Salmon;
  11. Mountain biked across the Denali Highway in Alaska;
  12. Have been & visited (not just a plane stop) to EVERY state in the Union except Hawaii.
  13. Lived in LA, SF, Boston, Miami, Tucson, Seattle;
  14. Could probably earn an honorary degree from Bastyr in nutrition;
  15. Can recite the sanskrit terms for most of the major Yoga poses;
  16. Earned two master's degrees from MIT;

I know I'm forgetting lots... as this only deals with the physical landmarks rather than any emotional, social or spiritual. But heck, its those physical things that people notice first.



1 comment:

Brian said...

I think you should also list your ability to rap "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground.

Even if you can't it would be cool. I mean, doesn't everyone fluff their resume from time to time?

just sayin'