Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sitting Duck

It was a cold crisp January morning without a cloud in the sky. Nature was stirring from the warm rays shining and penetrating everywhere. I was in a blissful state peddling my bike along Lake Washington Blvd. Then I notice this most magnificent bird circling the sky. It floated with grace and grandeur; it was a large bald eagle. As I stopped my bike to view its majesty...I noticed the small gaggle of ducks in panic beneath its wingspan. The eagle soared above, dived, swooped. The birds quickly moved as a group to avoid its grab. The eagle again soared, swooped lower, diving at the group of ducks...snagging one with such precision, then floated away to some tall tree stand. I marveled that these ducks were hardly sitting and it appeared that those ducks that deviated from the group appeared safer, although that may have just been my vantage point as those separated ducks may have done more damage to themselves in the emotion of separation. Not sure, but it was quite a show. Gotta love the northwest.

No comments: