Monday, January 01, 2007

An Icon

The fog lifted gradually on this first day of 2007 to reveal an amazing icon and work of art that was our gateway to Marin County - the Golden Gate Bridge. I biked from the grand ol' city of San Francisco to Tiburon with my buddy Melissa. Since it was New Year's day, the ferry wasn't running so I was forced to ride back (5 hours in the saddle today) yet Mel was forced to taxi it back (sore knee). Upon returning....there were several California Highway Patrolmen standing on foot at the entry and exit to the bridge. I learned there was an apparent man jumping from the bridge on this first day of the new year. I just read this fascinating article in the New Yorker, that every 2 weeks there is an attempted suicide. Over 1000 people have taken their life on this bridge since its inception in 1937 with approximately 25 people surviving the jump. The article was an erie read after crossing this piece of steel twice today; quite an icon.

No comments: