Sunday, April 30, 2006

STAGE 3: Race to Tombstone


Tired legs, full heart...I set out today to finish this race (this third day of racing). The field entered the mule pass tunnel with a 6% grade for 1/2 mile just after neutral - and 10 of us dropped off the back (self included). The balance of the race there were five of us who worked together to stay about 1/4 mile behind the lead pack...working harder, longer than the leaders. Wow, I was wiped by the time we reached the base of the 3,000 foot climb with 8 miles to go to the finish at the top of Mule pass. It had warmed to 87 degrees, yet feeling warmer in full sun. I made it. This is the first time I've ever seen my name on the web site left for professional cycling results (cyclingnews.com). You can see the report here. So, for my first stage race ever AND having a horrible week, exhausted before getting on a bike for the prologue...I'm ecstatic! I look forward to a start of a great season!

No comments: