Saturday, April 29, 2006

STAGE 1: Sulpher Springs Road Race

Today was the first stage of a four staged race in Bisbee over three days. I've posted my journal entry after today's stage.

WHOAH! Today was a complete rush of energy. WOW!

Waking at 5am (well I went to bed at 6pm) we started the neutral rollout at 7:30am. The race was 45 miles of pure anxiety, jet fuel and jockeying for position. Tmobile seemed to control the race as a breakaway pack took off about 10 miles into the race with a Tmobile rider. Most of the women weren't really key on working that hard this early in the race and with a Tmobile rider blocking the pace line we just peddled softly (being in front was especially hard with the head wind and no body was wanting to work...too much energy expended before that 7 mile climb back into Bisbee for the finish). I hung onto the Peleton and it accelerated, decelerated, accelerated...unnecessarily exhausting me (I'm a rookie so I've got to learn how to moderate myself - as I wanted to take off with the breakaway - but I don't have the leg yet this season to battle with pro riders).

Because this race has Cat 1-4 riders (including the national pros) I did a little web search on who were the top 4 riders from the Prologue. Mind you...one was a five (5) time national champion in women's road racing, another was 2nd in the WORLD in time trialing...yadda, yadda...get the picture. My goal today was to hang onto the Peleton (and these phenomenal women) at least through 30 miles and to the climb. AND I DID IT! It was so crazy, so hard, but I DID IT!!!! I fell off the pack just about 5 miles to go on the big climb into Bisbee as my legs couldn't answer another MASSIVE acceleration. HOWEVER, there were several, okay quite a few that had fallen off well before the feed zone (where my team car was no where to be found for my bottles, food, etc....so I just carried a little more weight on my bike - which could be why I fell off the pack on the climb).

Today was a great morning and such a victory for me at this juncture in my life. I feel really good, WOW! (can you tell I'm still under the influence of endorphines?).

Okay...I have the second stage today at 3pm. ItÂ’s a 8 mile time trial (me against the clock). This will largely be practice for me with my new bike...and I hope to move up a few places in the GC (that is the General Classification or my place overall for those of you loyal blog readers and unfamiliar with bike racing).

Oh...one other funny fact...which never happened to me before in a bike race, according to the race bible, the GC leader can call a potty break (neutral zone) in the race (men's races - the guys just wiz off their bikes). You should have seen this event...OMG!!! Imagine this...a wide open road (a few tumble weeds here an there) and about 15 women dropping their bikes, then their pants in front of GOD and everyone (no running behind a bush - none existed). At this exact moment an old couple had pulled aside the road (given our police pace car causes everyone to pull over). The old couple's mouths were wide open and their eyes bugged out. I think I looked the same in my own amazement. Funny what racing does to your common sense...when its all about winning. Come to think of it...I was carrying a few extra ounces of liguid in my bladder too given I didn't drop my pants.

No comments: