Friday, December 29, 2006

Visiting the Folks

The holidays for many people center around a visit with the folks. This year was different for me as it has been over 12 years since I visited Mom and Dad. My bro, Donald and I loaded up the car with a bucket, towels, garden shears and shovels for this year's visit to see dear Mom and Dad. At Rose Hill Cemetery in Whittier, CA, the grave stones needed some edging and the flower pots were buried under 4-5 inches of thick grass and soil, as it was nearly 2 years since Don's last visit.
Entering the cemetery there were flowers, trees, wreaths littering the landscape as we rolled over the hills of green lawn. I realized more than ever that these places of final resting are no doubt for the living. I thought about all the grieving souls of those with the pain of loss, then realized that EVERYONE experiences it sooner or later. It is a part of life. And as odd as this may sound...and as Don reminded me...I am so thankful we have death and dying. Without such a finality to our lives, we would take life for granted and piss away each day (as some still do).
Today was another reminder that I shall live with purpose and intention - every day. This was the final gift my parents left me more than 13 years ago. They were two of the most amazing people I have ever known. I gave them both a hug today. Thanks Mom and Dad!

No comments: