Friday, November 18, 2005

Cycling Legends, Icons & Rock Stars

Last night I went to the fancy dinner preceding the El Tour de Tucson (the annual 109 mile race with over 7,500 riders). So at this dinner I met some of the legends, icons and rock stars of cycling. Actually...Jo, Jon, Dean and I had a bit of debate on what distinguishes the various designation among us in cycling. Here is what I concluded:

  • LEGEND - an individual who inspires a story coming down from the past; especially: one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable.
    • Eddy Merckx
    • Greg Lemond
    • Lance Armstrong
  • ICON - an object having cultural significance and the capacity to excite or objectify a response.
    • Mario Cipolini
    • Bob Roll
  • ROCK STAR - an outstandingly talented performer that can easily take center stage with its abilities;
    • Ivan Basso
    • Floyd Landis (I stood about 3 feet away from this Rock Star last night).

No comments: