Monday, April 21, 2008

Walla Walla SR

A few FIRST to note:
a) my first race of the 2008 season;
b) my first CAT 3 race EVER;
c) my first stage race (SR) of 2008;
d) my first multi-day race event;

All those FIRST should absolutely moderate my expectations for doing anything but trying to hang on during the first climb of the road race. I certainly realized that I have GOOD endurance (finishing before the cut off and riding nearly 40 miles in the wind pulling a few development squad members who just didn't have experienced legs to pull in the wind) HOWEVER, I did learn that I have NO QUICK POWER to deal with surges or the blistering pace of a very fast CRIT on Sunday after 3.5 hours in the saddle on Saturday.

So the stages - 7 mile TT with a good little climb and a blistering fast down hill with speeds of 39 miles an hour (with a good gusty cross wind to push my disc like a sail - if only I could tact on the way up). There were some lessons learned - namely, make sure your bike is fully functioning before you mount it (front derailleur issues).

In summary....

Racing is a lot of work; preparation and the anticipation. But the post mortem and comradery with team mates and other racers is precious. It opens up a lot of discussions that are relevant to life; the unexpected consequences of flats and victories (big and small). Most importantly, racing teaches me that if I think I can do something, I can. If I don't think I can hang on, I won't. I need to be present in what I can do every minute of the event, not thinking about falling off and the disappointments, but the shear joy of running hard and giving your all in each moment.

Yeah...
I love racing and its symbolism of life. I love racing my bike and doing so many other things in life as I find balance is the key to my contentment. I love the passion people have for this sport and its many disappointments, yet we mount our saddle and do it again and again.

Next race; Wenatchee.
But a little altitude and massive climbing training in Tucson this weekend. I will need to work on power.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Two words.

You Rock.