Monday, November 13, 2006

Tie my hands behind my back...

I often think of myself as a pretty good cook. At least I know I like what I fix...and know when I've not "hit" it. Last year I met an artist that challenges her creativity by establishing rules about how she will paint her next canvas to challenge her skills. I decided to attempt a similar tactic.

So...I could only cook with items made from natural, organic non-animal sources. Okay...so making menus on vegan fare is no big deal, been there done that (although I'm really good with slabs of meat). So to up the anty, I decided that I would do only RAW foods, meaning I couldn't cook anything but could apply heat up to 150 degrees. Why is this important? Well, RAW foodies know that food carry natural enzymes that provide power and energy to our bodies. When we cook food (i.e. heat above 150 degrees - or 118 degrees extended) we destroy these properties and our bodies actually must do work to process it. So to make this challenge even greater I invited two people I've never dined with previously over with two other friends. Gosh. I was sweating bullets on this one. It was a success! Or at least I thought so! Here was the menu:

Openers:
Avocado Hummus and Jicama Sticks
Cracked Pepper and Dill Sunflower Aoli
Mejool Dates with Macadamia Nut "cheeze"

First Course:
Zucchini Lasagna with Pistachio Pesto

Second Course:
White corn portabello tamales with raw cacao mole

Dessert:
Vanilla Bean Coconut Ice Cream w/Fresh figs and Coconut Chocolate

No comments: