Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Vitamin D

A good friend of mine had a gnarly crash in Whistler on her mountain bike. Woah... I brought by a care package last night and she looked like a train wreck (broken collarbone, elbow and a head that would win her the part in Elephant Man). Well...
I was reminded that Vitamin D is important for three reasons:

1) We live in the pacific north west and don't get enough natural D (no matter how much time we spend outdoors - even the gardner;
2) Our bones can't construct themselves without masterful D.
3) Overlaying the cancer rates in the US has a perfect correlation (statistically speaking) with the lack of sunshine.

My doc says I need to be taking 5,000 mg a day! Mind you the common multivitamin has about 100mg. I recommend the brand Pure Encapsulations as it has no fillers and uses all natural materials to hold the nutrients. Mind you I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist... just someone passionate about this crap.

No comments: