Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Older I Get...

The more I learn about my body... particularly as things get off kilter and I need to pay attention to myself. So this past week my education was in SI joints (sacroiliac joint) which is where my pelvis attaches to my sacrum. Now I didn't even know or think there was a connection there (yeah I'm not a doctor but sometimes play one) and for some reason I figured the tailbone comes off the body and was connected like the rest of my spine (floating with discs and ligaments) and this little joint wasn't a joint but just part of my pelvis.
WRONG. So my lesson....
This little joint (best to my PT's knowledge) is where many people have disfunction from sitting too much, weak back muscles, etc. For me it got a little misaligned when the muscles of my back went into LOCK DOWN. Yah see... When the muscles like the QL and the Psoas contract (and go into spasism) on the back side, it locked my sacrum in the forward position...


AND, when you go to be homo erectus...
It basically yanks your spine from the back side and you scream OUCH!..or oh, oh, oh, oh... as I did thinking you blew a disc or something. So on Tuesday evening I was quite happy being as Diagram #4 (post race) illustrates, then on Wednesday morning I was figure #1 (Post Child's Pose) and Thursday Friday I was #2. Today I'm happy to report that I'm back to Diagram #3-4 as my muscles have returned to rest and relaxation and normal function....SO, you know me I had to do hill repeats today. Yes! Kitty (my yoga teacher) tells me that muscles lock/spaz just as they are getting strong. Hmmmm. I like Kitty.

1 comment:

Fatima Blush said...

so glad to see you're homo again!