Sunday, March 16, 2008

Its all Math Baby!

So I committed myself to race the Walla Walla stage race in just 1 month. I determined that I'm 7 lbs over the weight I want to carry up the BIG hills of this epic (well epic for April) race. So I discovered that I'm 149 and want to be 142 at the start of the race without losing muscle. It means work. So based on my frame, I used a nifty online calculator to know that in 4 weeks to lose 7 lbs I need to consume no more than 1400 calories a day before exercise. Exercise permits a little more consumption, but the key is NO WINE! Ouch. So I played the math game for two days now (consuming almost exactly 1400 calories plus some extra treats for ride days). I also need to kick up the intensity of riding and distance while starving myself. My friends, its not going to be pretty. I was already very cranky today, tired and dreaming of a fine italian Amarone and chocolate. Just 3 weeks and 5 days to go! This is more difficult (personally) than the hardest math exercise I faced at MIT.

3 comments:

jillita said...

I found this piece to be inspiring when your brain when it's trying to rationalize why you're so freakin' hungry.

Lisa Picard said...

Holy cow that is quite a post. I figured if I rode like a super hard ride and was famished...I could have a good meal in training...but CRAZY to ride like lance then skip a meal as part of your training? Thanks for sharing!

jillita said...

oops I just noticed what a horrendous set of words I put together. My mom was an english teacher I swear! So much for trying to sound intelligent late at night.

Starvation does wreck havoc with the immune system so I wouldn't copy Lance's regimen completely, but I do like envisioning the gnawing in your belly as another form of adversity to conquer on the quest to become your best. It's all a mental game on the bike or off.