Thursday, November 15, 2007

Uhmerhicans

I'm not someone who is overly political, sadly I focused more on financial markets and maybe have been a little apathetic (except for a few issues) the past couple of years. On my way to the airport today I was listening to NPR in the cab. There was a quote from our dear Mr. President....and it was something like this..."My friends....Americans are addicted to oil."

Whaaaaaaaat???
Really??????? Holy Cow!!!!! How did this happen? I demand to know!


The picture is real, and so are we. He also said in 2001 (and I quote), " In terms of the CO2 issue... we will not do anything that harms our economy. Because, first things first, are the people who live in America."

What first for me? Realizing that CO2 and our economy ARE connected and I'm not going to be so selfish as to say that my consumption comes first at the expense of the world. MY ELEMENT 6 MANIFESTO:

  1. Eat locally; no Chilean peaches in December. I will plant my yard with foods I eat.
  2. Reduce; i will never take a shopping bag from the store unless I bring one.
  3. Lower my food chain; select foods that are less intensive to bring to me and my market (no meats).
  4. Keep thermostat at 55 and wear a sweater (until my teeth chatter).
  5. Bike everywhere and anywhere (use scooter more often);

1 comment:

UltraMick said...

Thermostat at 55 works in Tucson where the humidity is 10% but not in Seattle where it's 85%. You'll be growing things at the very bottom of the food chain all through your house...things you don't want to eat, or inhale, or have to scrub off the tile....