Monday, July 21, 2008

A Workshop Needing Work

Yesterday I paid $100 for an all day session with Dr. Svoboda and Scott Blossom who apparently is going by Doctor these days. I find that those most insecure with their status or profession (namely those with a PhD and not of the medical profession) require that you call them by the prefix Dr.

So I was pretty excited about this session hearing much about these two gentlemen as leaders in their fields. I thought the topic was rather "heady" yet approachable given that it was titled something like mulandara chakra, guru and ganesh - basically about the root or core of the body and our ability to access the prana (energy) deep within via our breath, consciousness and movement.

What unfolded for me was a session where two rather arrogant guys felt they could walk into the room and "wing it," I suspect thinking that the audience would lack the maturity to know better. Wrong. I was very patient for the first half, but became bothered by the second half when it was clear to me there was no script, concept or deliverable AND worse no humility for the experience or needs of the class. I find it acceptable for a teacher to come ready to wing it, but if that is the case... the teacher best be attentive to who is in the audience and what are the needs or how information is or isn't being received.

Blossom seemed to completely miss this and patronized a few queries push to him with the need to show off his body moves (immature really). He also was completely hesitant to engage the group seemingly not able to effectively communicate concepts, as those of us discussing it... feel that he hasn't had enough experience to come into his own understanding. Let's hope this was a fluke or that his effective marketing techniques haven't got to his outer ego because I think he can be an effective vehicle for communicating powerful ideas.

Ok my rant is over...
for now.

No comments: