Saturday, August 25, 2007

State Hill Climb TT

So it wasn't what I wanted to happen. The plan was to get 1st and have Eden fall somewhere below 9th so I could win the BARR (State Title). Well, that was a HUGE long shot, because Eden was riding really strong the last few races AND it wasn't likely that even 7 WSBA licenced racers would show. Sure enough, it was game over before the race started. I vowed to at least take the TT.

Having been sick for 4 solid days since the TTT and feeling better Friday afternoon, I arrived bright and early this morning at the Base of Crystal Mountain turn off and highway 410 for the annual 6 mile climb up to Crystal Mountain Ski Area (oh yeah baby). I did a practice run and it was no Mount Lemmon (as that Arizona mountain is tougher, steeper, longer, higher). IF I could just keep a HARD pace to mile 3 and could spin a strong gear to the finish, I'd do well. Good intentions...but I saw Eden (who was racing just ahead of me) start 30 second before me gradually slip away. Argh........I dug deeper. Glancing up after that 30 second HARD effort....she was even further away. My chest heavy, my breath labored....my legs??? Heck, they felt good. Passing one woman, then another....it wasn't enough as my lungs didn't have enough for the day. I was 4th with a pretty weak time of 34 minutes. Next Year!!!!

No comments: